dig: OK. ping: unknown host ??
Bettina Behle
1999-10-27 22:19:37 UTC
Hi all,
having a local nameserver running Linux-krnl 2.2.10, Bind 4.9.7.
It's a master for zone foo.com and forwards all other queries to
ns.forward.com.
It's configured as a ipchains-firewall.

On THIS MACHINE:
I can successfully dig and nslookup hosts on local and remote networks.
When I try to ping/traceroute/ftp/telnet/etc. to this same host, I get a
"host unknown" error.
Logging named-queries show that there's no query in the second
(non-working) cases.
I do not get ipchains errors. Just nothing in syslog.

On every OTHER MACHINE on the local network:
Everything works fine.

I'm trapped. Don't know where to look further.
Any hints?
Thanks so much.

Torsten Behle
FCB/Wilkens Germany
Joseph S D Yao
1999-10-28 04:07:31 UTC
Do you allow queries both from the machine's IP address and from
127.0.0.1?

--
Joe Yao ***@cospo.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support EMT-B
Torsten Behle
1999-10-29 09:08:08 UTC
Oops, where is my original post? (see below)
did you check the file /etc/nsswitch.conf?
hosts: files dns
Yes. File exists, is readable by all and has this line in.
Do you allow queries both from the machine's IP address and
from 127.0.0.1?
I think so. I have configuered:
ipchains -A input -i lo -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i lo -j ACCEPT
And I can e.g. telnet to itself (127.0.0.1, IP, the machine's name).
However, I temporarily deleted ALL ipchains without success
(and without intruders, I hope :-)
All ipchains denied connections and all nameserver queries
are being logged, and there is no entry after 'ping notworking.host'.
The "unknown hosts" comes extremely fast.

I discovered that the names that are not working are all CNAMEs
(internal and external). Most CNAMEs work. All A-records work.
('work' means: I can do ftp/telnet/ping etc. with the name.)
Because we are running the squid-proxy on the server,
CNAME resolving is essential (for virt. www-servers).

Maybe this is a hint ....

Some other information on my config:
- /etc/host.conf has: order hosts bind
- /etc/hosts has:
127.0.0.1 localhost
172.16.13.1 saturn.wilkens-net.com saturn
- /etc/resolv.conf has:
search wilkens-net.com
nameserver 172.16.13.1
nameserver 172.16.13.12
- I dumped the internal DNS-database to a file and verified that
"notworking.internal.host" is in there. (kill -SIGINT named.pid)
- I restarted named (and one time the whole machine) without success.

And here is a complete example of an external host:
***@saturn:~ > dig www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;; www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de. 86400 CNAME drvhh-support1.drvhh.de.
drvhh-support1.drvhh.de. 86400 A 195.179.55.131

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
drvhh.de. 86400 NS drvhh-support.drvhh.de.
drvhh.de. 86400 NS dns-d.is-europe.net.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
drvhh-support.drvhh.de. 86400 A 195.179.55.130
dns-d.is-europe.net. 81335 A 195.180.210.3

;; Total query time: 1923 msec
;; FROM: saturn to SERVER: default -- 172.16.13.1
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 29 10:53:16 1999
;; MSG SIZE sent: 47 rcvd: 220

***@saturn:~ > ping www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de
ping: unknown host: www.hamburger-digitaldruck.de

Thanks for any ideas on this crazy thing.
Torsten Behle
FCB/Wilkens Hamburg
FCB/Wilkens Germany
Joseph S D Yao
1999-10-30 00:39:23 UTC
Post by Torsten Behle
Oops, where is my original post? (see below)
It is considered polite not to include the entire history of the
conversation, but only those parts to which one is answering.

Torsten Behle
1999-11-03 21:41:26 UTC
Post by Joseph S D Yao
It is considered polite not to include the entire history of the
conversation, but only those parts to which one is answering.
Yes, but how can people follow a thread if the original post
has only been visible for 24 hours? Don't know what filters
have removed my message.
I'm a lurker to some newsgroups and somtimes have had a hard time
bringing the pieces of the orig. post together.
Sorry - I tried to be as polite as possible :-)

Torsten

Torsten Behle
1999-10-29 23:48:06 UTC
Post by Bettina Behle
having a local nameserver running Linux-krnl 2.2.10, Bind 4.9.7.
In /etc/nsswitch.conf, does the line that starts "hosts:" just contain
hosts: files dns
Yep. This file is OK.
/etc/named.boot also is quite plain. No special options.

I have an AMAZING example by now.
Pinging the SAME HOST on different CNAMEs give different results.
How about that (sorry for being verbous)?
It's weird. Even debuglevel 4 does not show any differences.
Dumping the database shows the same entries for both CNAMEs.

***@saturn:/etc > /sbin/init.d/named restart < ------------- Empty cache
***@saturn:/etc > ping nsdir1.wilkens-net.com < ------------- Doesn't work
ping: unknown host: nsdir1.wilkens-net.co
***@saturn:/etc > ping nsconfig.wilkens-net.com < ------------- Works!
PING nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com (172.16.13.5): 56 data bytes
--- nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.821/4.481/8.141 ms

***@saturn:/etc > dig nsconfig.wilkens-net.com < ------------- Check entry

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> nsconfig.wilkens-net.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;; nsconfig.wilkens-net.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
nsconfig.wilkens-net.com. 86400 CNAME nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com.
nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com. 86400 A 172.16.13.5

AUTHORITY, ADDITIONAL.... all the same

;; Total query time: 3 msec
;; FROM: saturn to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Sat Oct 30 01:24:19 1999
;; MSG SIZE sent: 42 rcvd: 181

***@saturn:/etc > dig nsdir1.wilkens-net.com < ------------- Check other entry

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> nsdir1.wilkens-net.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;; nsdir1.wilkens-net.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
nsdir1.wilkens-net.com. 86400 CNAME nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com.
nshafmailhost1.wilkens-net.com. 86400 A 172.16.13.5

AUTHORITY, ADDITIONAL.... all the same

;; Total query time: 3 msec
;; FROM: saturn to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Sat Oct 30 01:24:26 1999
;; MSG SIZE sent: 40 rcvd: 179

I have a line

exit ns_init(), need maintenance immediately

in the named-starting debug-log.
However, I didn't find any flaws in the conf-files (even reducing
the named to a caching-only server gives this message).
AND the DNS works perfectly on 98% of all queries.
I really have to search for this kind of errors.

Thinking of installing Bind 8 with a minimal chance to
get this solved.... :-(

Torsten
Bettina Behle
1999-11-03 21:32:50 UTC
Is it possible that the lib's that the ping that came with
LINUX is using are no compatible with the lib's
BIND v4.9.7 is using? In other words, is BIND using a
different libresolv.a than your ping command?
I think that the libs are the key to the problem.
I can't tell exactly (have only one libresolv.a on the machine),
but I will replace the networking tools and upgrade to BIND 8.
My identically configuered SuSE-Linux machine at home
(I copied all essentail files over for checking) does not have
the problem, I think reinstalling should help.
If it does, I'll post a short notice.

Thanks.
Torsten